What is a Rudraksha?
Rudraksha is a natural seed of the blue fruit of the evergreen tree Elaeocarpus ganitrus, also simply known as the Rudraksha tree, indigenous to the Himalayas and found in Nepal, India and other parts of Southeast Asia.
In Sanskrit, the plural of Rudraksha is Rudraksham. The name literally means “the tears of God”, specifically, the god, Shiva. It is said, while contemplating the world’s suffering, Shiva unexpectedly began to cry tears of compassion. As his tears fell to Earth, he transformed them to seeds…for the benefit of those seeking freedom from suffering and union with the Divine.
Hindus and Buddhists alike revere Rudraksham as “holy beads”, which confer peace, power and protection. Traditionally, Rudraksham are worn as necklaces, bracelets, and pendants and used for meditation. According to ancient tradition, when made into a prayer rosary — known as a mala —the quantity of beads strung together is some multiple of 9, with 108 being the optimal amount.
Rudraksha have many faces; what is easily missed on first glance is that there is a variety of Rudraksha beads which can be discerned by counting the clefts on the surface of the bead that run from top to bottom. These divisions are called ‘mukhis’ or ‘faces’.
The most common bead is the 5-faced Rudraksha. The variety of Rudraksham ranges from 1- 23 faces or mukhis, the greater the number of faces of a bead, the more rare and special the bead.
Each ‘face’ or ‘mukhi’ is known to have a specific powers and influence on the soul and the life.
Within the community of saints, Rudraksham are considered sacred soul jewelry because they have the power to influence, evolve and protect your life on the deepest level, the soul. The soul grows only through high, peaceful, divine vibrations. Soul jewelry are power objects that transmit these vibrations. This knowledge of the use of natural & supernatural power objects belongs to the soul sciences of ancient India recorded in 3000 year old palm leaf books that guide on the highest path to oneness and supreme health— physically, mentally and spiritually.
Benefits of Wearing Rudraksham
Rudraksham create tremendous positive energy for the body, mind and soul.
• They change the karma of the wearer, leading a person naturally to the right path of truth and purpose, making the pace along the path quicker and progress easier.
• They are effective in controlling stress, thus help in eradicating worries and blessing the wearer with greater peace of mind. In over 6,500 years of documented use, Rudraksham have been shown to produce no negative side effects.
• Rudraksham bring clarity, sharpen the mind, and increase the power of Intuition.
• They create powerful “protection circles” from negativity and remove obstacles along the path to your success.
• Rudraksham charge the soul with shakti (spiritual power), increasing the soul’s own radiance and its ability to more fully express its divine power & wisdom in the material world.
• They create a more intimate connection with the positive forces in nature and the cosmos, help to heal the vital energies and bring them into harmonious balance.
• Rudraksha are scientifically proven to have many health benefits.
In a research treatise, Dr Suhas Rai and his team at the Indian Institute of Technology in Benaras confirmed claims that, indeed, Rudraksham (the plural of “Rudraksha”) have “special and specific powers, or radiant qualities that are quantifiable”; and these powers vary from bead to bead dependent upon their different mukhis or faces.
Rudraksha beads are widely used in Ayurveda to cure several diseases. Rudraksha Therapy is a very effective way to aid in curing diseases and is proved to be better than crystal or magnetic therapy.
In recent years, studies show that wearing Rudraksha beads combats the effects of stress, including hypertension, depression, and high blood pressure without the harmful and often addictive side-effects of tranquilizers, anti-depressants, and beta-blockers. Studies show that men and women experience heightened energy levels, stamina, and peace of mind within a few hours of placing Rudraksha beads in direct contact of their chest region. In the long term, Rudraksha beads have been shown to reverse the effects of stress, alleviate depression, eliminate anxiety and other mood disorders, as well as improve concentration, enhance relaxation and exhibit anti-aging properties.